We all love it, but have you ever taken a second to realize how loaded in sugar most store bought granolas are?
As I stroll through the grocery store aisle and try to find a granola that will satisfy my cravings without loading up the sugar, I find close to zero options. That is when I decided to create my own granola at home. This is one granola that I can enjoy without feeling like I am eating a bowl of candy in the mornings. Whether the granola is made with honey, agave, sugar, coconut sugar, etc. it is all sugar! In the end, it is sugar and it adds up.
Not only is this granola amazing, but it is sweetened with mother nature’s sweetener, dates. With minmal ingredients and loaded in nutrients, you will be eating this as a snack, for breakfast, and as a dessert. Make a batch and enjoy it throughout the week!
how to make it:
- 4 Mejdool dates
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup mixed nuts and seeds (Pecans, Walnuts, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300 F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine pitted dates and water in sauce pan and cook until dates break down and become soft.
- Place dates, water and coconut oil in blender and blend together.
- In large bowl, mix together dry ingredients and date mixture until oats are coated.
- Pour onto tray and bake for about 60 mins, stir every 20 mins.